Benefits of Using Hops
- Insomnia: There is a natural sedative in hops that relaxes you. All jokes aside about just having a few beers instead, this treatment won't leave you groggy in the morning! You can make a tea with them or even just put them under your pillow. I love the smell of hops!
- Aids Digestion: Hops can help break down foods by stimulating stomach acid. It is said to be helpful in both cases of diarrhea and constipation.
- Menstrual Pain: Hops contains estrogen which can help the female hormones when they are going crazy! They help relieve the pain as well.
- Helps Anxiety: This is what many people enjoy about having a beer, 'it takes the edge off'. There is actually truth to that! But, you can enjoy a cup of homemade hops tea instead!
- They are a natural antioxidant.
Growing HopsHops can withstand the cold temperatures so you can actually plant them after the last frost when the ground is soft enough to dig. You simply plant the rhizomes and away they go! Okay, so it's not that easy, they do need love and maintenance just like other plants but it's worth it.
|Grow Baby Grow!|
We built trellises for them to climb for a little added decoration in the backyard but you could simply use a little rope and they will cling to that as well. Hops are a perennial plant so they come back year after year and grow with time as well. Some people find them taking over their garden so plant them in an area that they can spread. Sides of the garage, fences or property lines are great places. Make sure they then can get sunlight and have a good source of water.